Wednesday, June 25, 2014

When I Grow Up, What Kind of Farmer will I Be?

Seems like in Morgan county, people have one of three things, horses, cattle, or goats. Or they grow hay, wheat, or corn. Though, I did come upon a charming field divider of short golden sunflowers. It was so charming. There's something magical about this area. I can't quite put my finger on it. But I'm happy to be here. Which is a miracle in and of itself, if you've ever read my other blogs, i.e. Walking Out of Darkness. So what about me? I've got 10 newly acquired acres, with 37 next to me possibly being auctioned as a tax lean this Monday. What should I do with my land? Tillage, range, forestry, orchard, a hybrid of various uses, or nothing at all. This first year is what I call the, "Get to Know You" period on my land. Apparently it's what an old farmer would do, where a new farmer might just get down into it. This strategy comes from budget constraints, and instinct. I need to understand the land, what it's doing, what's been done to it, and what it can or can't do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment