Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Geothermal Heat Pumps

Our current HVAC system is pretty grotesque, so I'm currently taking bids for a geothermal installation. Out home is only 1082 soft, but I'm pretty sure it's going to require new duct worked ran in the attic. This is fine, because the ducts in the crawlspace are basically rat dwelling. No joke, I've found 2 nests in two different ducts, and a huge squirrels nest in the attic. WTF was going on in this house? Anyhoo, I'm researching incentives, and there are a few. 30% of qualifying systems from the fed with no upper limits, and Georgia offers $2,000 rebate for geothermal installation. I still haven't gotten prices to put these figures to. This house is so old and small, and energy inefficient, is it worth springing for something like this? Would it raise the resale value enough to justify it? It's likely we'll outgrow this house within 5 years. It's already to small. Another program I"m looking into is the Weatherization Assistance Program. Each state has it's own extension. In Georgia, a family of 3 making less than 38K a year qualifies. So guess who might be getting some help in the attic and crawlspace? Me. I could use all the help I can get. This house was never built right from day one. Judging by the un graded crawlspace and the sloppy hand hewn rafters, I'm guessing this place was slapped together to provide on thing, immediate shelter. It was never intended to become a family heirloom. It's a miracle it's still standing all together. And technically, they should have brought the south side envelope up to code, since they resided the entire south side of the house. They had a permit to replace damage boards, not reside the entire house. Don't get me started. The house envelope is as follows:
Siding
Tarpaper
Studs/cellulose
Sheetrock
That's it. There's a layer missing. Rigid foam board or plywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment